Saturday, January 06, 2007

Bon Voyage! (Or the Maori Equivalent)

Your intrepid world travelers have arrived safely in Los Angeles (notice the update on our Jauntlet map). We managed to cram all the necessities into our backpacks (it's not so easy to pack for a whole year!) but did have to leave a few of Andrew's t-shirts behind (I'm sure he'll be constantly replenishing the supply during our travels). Although initially we thought I (Becky) was carrying the heavier load, the airport scale confirmed that Andrew's pack was indeed heavier (Becky = 35 lbs, Andrew = 36.5 lbs). Although, I would like to note that proportional to my body size, I am still carrying more weight... ahem.

Photo on the porch in Mount Gretna

Our families gathered in Mount Gretna to send us off, so after some last minute packing - and much picture taking - we were on our way to Newark. Fortunately, I was mostly cried out from the night before (I was a mess...), so there were minimal waterworks on our way to the airport. Mom did try to make a wrong turn on to the turnpike (intentional or no? You decide...). Other than that, we arrived at the airport without incident and on schedule. My tear ducts must have had a chance to refill during the drive, so there was a teary curbside drop off at Newark as we said our last goodbyes.

Six hours later... Los Angeles! Josh (a.k.a. Chipper) picked us up at the airport, and, after a quick bite to eat, we went to the Three of Clubs for a nightcap. Several years ago, Andrew and his brother Adam saw Vince Vaughn there, which is amusing since they were at the bar since it was featured in the movie Swingers, and Andrew has persisted in telling this story of his brush with celebrity ever since. Unfortunately, the bar had ridiculously loud and piercing 80's music on tap last night, but no celebrities, or even pseudo-celebrities in attendance.

Speaking of celebrities, Andrew has decided that the celebrity I now look like (post-haircut) is Parker Posey (a la her celebrity guest judge appearance on Project Runway). The altitude on the plane must have affected his brain functioning, because I, of course, disagree.

Finally, for anyone suffering from trip envy, at least the weather is just as nice where you are as it is here. It is 67 degrees and sunny in Los Angeles... but that's the same forecast for Lebanon, PA. Al Gore, get to the bottom of this!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I like the new do Becky, and now that I can see the look, I think you can go even shorter!

We miss you already. Be safe traveling!